Week two’s challenge is to sew something from the last fabric you purchased. I had three to choose from, but I decided on this gorgeous cotton lycra from Pink Zepplelin. I live in France, so buying fabric from America gets pretty expensive. I’d seen this fabric and others from the same round last year and absolutely loved them, but when postage is the same price as the fabric, it really makes you stop and think before buying! Back then I was a complete beginner too, so I didn’t even know what I could make with it apart from serviettes. Anyway, in the Black Friday sales of 2017, there was a coupon for forty percent off and my boyfriend was lovely and told me to go ahead and take advantage of it! I snagged this beauty and a couple of others. The postage was still expensive, but because of the sale, the total cost was less than the original price of teh fabric. Score!
I have exams this week so I’m going for a simple pattern – Peg Legs by Patterns for Pirates. I’ll be using the contour waistband, which can be found in the Peg Legs Add Ons. I’ve never made any before but have wanted to for ages. I’m starting out with a “muslin”- I’d planned on making leggings with them anyway, but because the fabric wasn’t custom printed I’m starting with it. If it goes terribly I’ll be able to get some more fairly easily.
Because the pattern is apparently a super easy sew, I’m challenging myself! This is the first pattern I’ll be grading, which was a little complicated. My calves came in at XXS and my waist at M. Starting at the bottom, I graded from XXS to XS in between the bike and shorties line, which fit in with my measurements. Then I attempted to grade from XS to S in the high hips, again following my measurements. I tried not to mess with the crotch curve too much because I have no idea how that works, so we’ll see how that turns out! Then in the contour waistband I went from S to M.
Grading was kind of tricky as a beginner to figure out, but it’s a great pattern to start grading on because it’s straight lines, and I found guidance in the Patterns for Pirates Facebook group. I’m not sure how it’ll turn out, hence the practice pair.
I’m also making the muslin using only my serger, which is a first for me. I’m somewhat scared because the serger trims the seam allowance, but I have to start somewhere and have been told that it’s a great pattern to use as a beginner.
*to be filled in with dates*
Pattern printed and cut: Yes, previously
Project hemmed and finished:
Notes: I’m hoping to gain confidence and feedback about grading, as well as feel more comfortable with my serger.